The British annexed the Cape of Good Hope in 1806, but their final authority was only ratified in 1814. In the same year the Lutheran Church became the first congregation of which we are certaqin to acquire an imported organ[Simpson p/III 28 1814] - and also the first by a British firm to come to the Cape. There exists the possiblility that the Stellenbosch congregation beat the Lutherans to it in 1800, but no details of that instrument or it's origin are known to exist. In contrast to the Early Period, here we find that an organ - rather than being built locally - is imported through agency (usually from Britain) and is erected by a craftsman (usually a foreigner or a member of the builder's staff) who, as often as not, remains behind and settles at the Cape. This would be the beginning of a trend that was to remain the norm for more than a century.
Another contrast that emerges is the decline in the number of secular organs, and the concurrent rise in the number of liturgical instruments.